Got out of the plane to searing heat...Paid my $100 to get past the National Park People, (yep it´s pretty steep to get to the Galapagos, but all worth it,) and went to look for the representative of the Poseidon, the boat I was about to spend the next week on.

After a bus ride, ferry ride, and another bus ride I arrived at Puerto Ayora and met not only the crew, who almost became like family, but also my friends for the next few days.
Within 5 minutes of meeting Kay, and Dianna, two New Zealanders, travelling with their friend Caroline, I knew I was going to have a ball...
Also on the boat were Arthur and Mieke, a Dutch couple, and a Belgian family.
I´ve always said that if you find someone who is willing to clean up your vomit when you are too ill to do it yourself, then you´ve found yourself a friend for life....Poor Ronnie, second in charge on the boat, unwittingly put himself in that situation on my first night on board...Was sea sick like you wouldn´t believe...Ronnie managed to get me a garbage bag in time, and I still managed to miss the opening - Rogue wave.
Was so sick I fell asleep on the upper deck....Which ended up being where I slept the rest of the nights on the boat. Could not handle the heat in the cabins...
I won´t bore you all with details of all the islands we visited however I will say it was totally awesome. The first day I was in the water adjusting my mask when this huge black thing swam straight at me...Screaming in a snorkel is not very effective! However the sea lion was just being playful, as were the other three who joined in swimming in and around us!

We saw so much wild life up close! It was just unbelievable to see animals in the wild, doing their thing only a few metres from you. We saw blue footed boobies, (birds for the filthy minded) and albatrosses in the midst of their courting, iguanas feeding and basking in the sun, just amazing....
The photo there is Mieke, Arthur and myself enjoying an aperitif of rum and coke at 11am...On a Monday morning!
Wednesday came way too fast...It was the day these guys were leaving me to a whole new bunch of people....And the night before they were due to arrive, I found o
ut it was a group of Israelis...Interesting.Right: Blue Footed Booby, with two eggs...Rare sight.
Have learnt a lot about the wildlife here as well as the geology and the people... Can actually tell you the difference between a male booby and a female booby!
Left: Male Frigate bird trying to attract female...

Below: Land Iguana...
No comments:
Post a Comment